Information, tutorials, and resources for computing and software tools and systems ...
Unix Command Line/Bash
Text Editors & IDEs
- nano - A simple but good unix (and windows git bash) command line line choice
- emacs - One of the classic terminal editors | aquamacs ac application
- vim - Another classic in-the-terminal hacker's editor
- vimtutor - Inputting
vimtutor at your terminal will bring up a quick tutorial on how to use Vim.
- notepad++ (Windows) - Free code-friendly replacement for Notepad
- sublime text - A popular proprietary GUI editor
- atom - A web-oriented GUI code editor
- PyCharm - JetBrain's lots-of-bells app for editing & running python on Mac, Windows, Linux. There's a free "community" version and a paid version with more features.
- IDLE - python.org's app for editing and running python ; comes with the standard python installation
- Visual Studio - Microsoft's IDE, also with a free "community" version and a paid version with more features.
- Visual Studio Code - Microsoft's text editor. It is similar to Visual Studio but much more lightweight and is open-source.
- An open discussion space for the Computer Science Department at Bennington College.
- Bennington College Jupyter Notebook.