(installed on jupyter.bennington)
code editors & IDEs
- nano - a simple but good unix (and windows git bash) command line line choice
- emacs - what Jim uses ; one of the classic terminal editors | aquamacs ac application
- vim - another classic in-the-terminal hacker's editor
- notepad++ (windows) - free code-friendly replacement for Notepad
- sublime text - a popular proprietary GUI editor
- vscode - Microsoft's Visual Code Studio ; has been one of the most popular editors lately
- atom - a web-oriented GUI code editor
- PyCharm - JetBrain's lots-of-bells app for editing & running python on Mac, Windows, Linux. There's a free "community" version and a paid version with more features.
- IDLE - python.org's app for editing and running python ; comes with the standard python installation
- google "top python editor IDE", eh?
vocabulary & acronyms