Mon Dec 6
Questions about anything?
I've done one last update to the flask demo blog app, putting in a json API and ajax js "number of posts".
Here are some sources on topics related to
money and the internet - perhaps for discussion
on our last class on Thursday. (Along with
a big "what we did this term", depending on
interest and where the conversation takes us.)
browsers, tracking, cookies, and all that
advertising, ecommerce, and the big five
- You pay them to put your ads in (a) search, (b) other sites, (c) maps
- People paid google $169B in 2020
- They pay you to put other people's ads on your site.
- (googling "facebook ad revenue" says $28B in 3rd quarter of 2021)
- You pay them to put your ads on facbook pages.
- wikipedia: shopify
- Their software lets people buy things on your website.
- 1.6M sites use it; $61B spent on 2019/
- wikipedia: amazon
- AWS - largest cloud services ($45B 2020 sales)
- amazon.com - largest online marketplace (100M prime members)
- wikipedia: Big Tech
- Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Apple, Meta (Facebook), Microsoft
- $1T to $2T stock worth each